background

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

November is for...

Veterans and Turkeys!

Looking ahead to the rest of the month, both November holidays gave me inspiration for my lessons this week.

As I was putting up my Thanksgiving book display (who knew we had so many picture books about Thanksgiving?!?), I came across some new-to-me books as well as some old favorites to share with students this week.

Kindergarten and 1st grade both heard Arthur's Thanksgiving, a classic by Marc Brown. With kindergartners, we continued using the 5 W's to better understand the elements of the story. 1st graders practiced sequencing by drawing a picture of something that happened at the beginning, middle and end of the story.

2nd grade dove into their first genre: Mystery. I recycled the genre dudes from last week and we brainstormed the elements of the mystery genre to watch out for in our read aloud this week. I found an unknown-to-me Jane Yolen book, Piggins, which was a great story to illustrate the elements of the genre, including identifying witnesses, suspects and detectives and noting which clues were important to figuring out the mystery.

3rd grade diverged from genres to do an activity around a favorite Veterans Day book of mine, Nubs: The True Story of a Mutt, a Marine and a Miracle. We heard the story, and then used the iPads and Brittanica school to learn some facts about Iraq and Jordan, 2 of the countries Nubs visited on his journey to America.

4th grade continued to make progress on their postcards for their Global Read Aloud schools.

I loved one of the new-to-me books so much, that I added an additional week of thick/thin questions to my 5th grade lessons this week so that I could take advantage of reading this book. Balloons Over Broadway tells the story of Tony Sarg, the puppeteer behind the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. We continued with thick/thin questioning about the book and segued to thinking up thick questions to guide our research.

No comments:

Post a Comment