background

Monday, January 22, 2018

Caldecott Time

Lessons for the next few weeks will center on the upcoming Caldecott Awards, with a slightly different twist for each grade level. 

To start, I built a new display with all Caldecott Winners and Honor books - we have a lot of them! It's pretty cool to see all the different authors and illustrators who have won over the years, although, I think the competition is much tougher in modern times. I love seeing how books on display fly off the shelves - it gives me motivation to keep coming up with new ideas to showcase different types of books. 

Preview of the books we are reading this week: 

Kindergarteners are simply hearing read alouds of past Caldecott winners. I started with a wordless book, A Ball for Daisy, and they did a fantastic job helping me tell the story. 

1st grade also focused on wordless books, and they heard two different stories that we compared and contrasted, also A Ball for Daisy and Mr. Wuffles (not to be confused with Mr. Waffles!). 

I am trying something new with 2nd and 3rd grades - a full Mock Caldecott Award activity. Taking inspiration from Mr. Schu Reads, I procured all 21 of his titles from my public library and put together a mock ballot for my students. After a quick overview of the Caldecotts and the criteria that the judges use to choose the award-winners, we dove right into the first 3 books: Red & Lulu, Windows, and The Book of Mistakes. I think time and attention spans will preclude me from reading aloud all 21, but I have picked 10 that I really like and I'm crossing my fingers the winner comes from one the ones I chose. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to conclude the voting...stay tuned! 

4th grade is starting its big state research project soon, so I didn't want to commit to a 3-4 week Caldecott project so I adapted accordingly. We read last year's winner, Radiant Child, and then reviewed the 4 criteria Caldecott judges use to make their decisions. They then each selected a Caldecott winner from my display, read it, and answered the 4 questions based on their critical thinking. We are going to further work with their selected books next week. 

5th grade - no surprise - Passion Projects! This week I have made sure to personally visit each student and check their progress. There's a wide range of activity, so it's going to take some creative thinking to move some students along, while also providing extension activities for those who are closer to being done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment